First Degree Burglary
First-degree burglary is defined by CRS 18-4-202. It is when somebody enters a property unlawfully with the intent of committing a crime against something inside, either an individual or another piece of property and while doing so they assault or menace somebody or threaten to use deadly weapons.
Contact a Colorado criminal defense lawyer representing clients in Boulder, CO today to schedule your initial consultation.
The legislature defines the first-degree burglary as when a person:
- Entered unlawfully, or remaining unlawfully after a lawful or unlawful entry,
- In a building or occupied structure,
- With intent,
- To commit therein another crime against another person or property, and
- In effecting entry or while in the building or occupied structure or in immediate flight from the building or occupied structure the defendant
- Committed the crime of assault or the crime of menacing against any person, or
- The defendant or another participant was armed with explosives, or
- The defendant or another participant in the crime used a deadly weapon or possessed and threatened the use of a deadly weapon.
First-degree burglary is a class 3 felony with the possibility of up to 12 years in prison and fines of up to $750,000.
If you would like to schedule an initial consultation, contact a Colorado criminal defense attorney, we represent clients in Boulder, Colorado, and the surrounding area. The Savela Law Firm, P.C. Give us a call at (720) 821-1001 or complete our inquiry form.
Although each case is different, there are several defenses to burglary charges including alibi, defense, mistaken identity, execution of public duty, general denial, and others. Many of these defenses can be used to get charges dropped or dismissed or a not guilty verdict at trial.
If you have been charged with burglary an experienced Denver DUI attorney is essential. Get in touch with experienced Denver burglary defense attorneys Jason Savela and Ryan Dawson by filling out our online contact form or by calling (720) 821-1001.